spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


Space Force to add a third company in next launch competition
Posted: Fri, Jul 21, 2023, 9:04 PM ET (0104 GMT)
Vulcan launch vehicle illustration (ULA) The US Space Force said it changed its plans for the next phase of the National Security Space Launch (NSSL) competition because of concerns about a shortage of rockets. The Space Force said last week it would add a third provider to NSSL Phase 3's "Lane 2" for more demanding missions. At a briefing this week, officials said they were concerned that growing demand for launch services would make it difficult for them to carry out all their missions with just two providers. The third provider would get just seven of the 58 missions planned for Lane 2: five GPS launches and two direct-to-geostationary launches. The other two providers will split the remaining 51 launches on a 60-40 basis.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
SpaceX performs two Falcon 9 launches less than an hour apart
Posted: Sun, Aug 16 10:57 AM ET (1457 GMT)

Virgin Galactic delays resumption of commercial flights to 2027
Posted: Sun, Aug 16 10:54 AM ET (1454 GMT)

Veteran astronaut Fincke retires
Posted: Sun, Aug 16 10:53 AM ET (1453 GMT)

news links
Tuesday, August 18
L3Harris Replaces CEO Following Investigation Into Conduct
Bloomberg News — 7:06 am ET (1106 GMT)
L3Harris ousts CEO Kubasik over conduct violation
Fox Business — 7:04 am ET (1104 GMT)
L3Harris Replaces CEO After Review Of Kubasik Conduct
Aviation Week — 7:03 am ET (1103 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list