Posted: Sat, Aug 22, 2026, 7:50 AM ET (1150 GMT)

NASA and Katalyst Space are calling off plans to reboost the orbit of the agency's Swift space telescope. Katalyst said Wednesday its Link spacecraft is suffering from "ongoing attitude control issues" it encountered after its launch last month, making it impossible for Link to grapple Swift and raise its orbit. The company said it will continue tests of Link, including potential rendezvous and proximity operations near Swift. NASA awarded a $30 million contract to the company last September for what the agency acknowledged was a high-risk mission to raise Swift's decaying orbit, but one with benefits for both Swift itself and the broader satellite servicing field if successful. Without the reboost, Swift is expected to reenter later this year.