spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


Orbital develops "go-forward" plan to continue ISS cargo deliveries
Posted: Fri, Nov 7, 2014, 8:02 AM ET (1302 GMT)
Cygnus approaching ISS illustration (Orbital Sciences Corp.) Orbital Sciences Corporation announced Wednesday its plans to resume commercial cargo deliveries to the international space station, which include buying launches from other companies. Orbital said that, in response to the October 28 accident involving an Antares rocket that destroyed a Cygnus cargo spacecraft, Orbital will accelerate development up an upgraded version of the Antares with a new first stage that would be ready for launches starting in 2016. In the meantime, Orbital will purchase one or more launches from another company to allow them to send Cygnus missions to the ISS while the Antares is being upgraded. Orbital officials said they are in talks with two American companies and one European company about launching Cygnus spacecraft, but did not disclose the companies or launch vehicles under consideration. Orbital said it's unlikely it will perform future launches of the current version of the Antares, which uses AJ26 engines in its first stage; a turbopump failure in one of those engines appears to be the cause of last week's launch failure.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
Space Force adds Rocket Lab and Stoke Space to NSSL contract
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:19 AM ET (1319 GMT)

Cygnus departs from ISS
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:14 AM ET (1314 GMT)

Vulcan Centaur certified for national security launches
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:10 AM ET (1310 GMT)

news links
Friday, April 4
How China is expanding its anti-satellite arsenal
Defense One — 5:52 am ET (0952 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list