spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


NASA gives tentative approval to Shuttleworth flight
Posted: Wed, Dec 12, 2001, 10:32 AM ET (1532 GMT)
ISS illustration (NASA) NASA officials confirmed Tuesday that they given their tentative approval to a flight next year by space tourist Mark Shuttleworth. Reuters reported that NASA and the other partner nations of the International Space Station have said that they have agreed "in principle" to the flight of the South African to the station next April as one member of the three-person Soyuz taxi crew. NASA and other partners, excluding Russia, has strongly opposed a similar flight earlier this year by Dennis Tito, but eventually relented. The Tito controversy led the ISS partners to develop a set of criteria for future flights by "non-professional" astronauts, like Shuttleworth. A NASA spokesperson did say that there were some final, unspecified details that would have to be resolved before Shuttleworth would be cleared. Shuttleworth, who officially signed the contract for the flight earlier this month, is reportedly paying $20-25 million for the flight.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
Crew-12 launches to ISS
Posted: Sun, Feb 15 10:57 AM ET (1557 GMT)

Axiom Space raises $350 million
Posted: Sun, Feb 15 10:48 AM ET (1548 GMT)

First Ariane 64 launches Amazon Leo satellites
Posted: Sun, Feb 15 10:46 AM ET (1546 GMT)

news links
Wednesday, February 18
Space Force needs 10,000 more Guardians, officials tell Senate
Huntsville Times — 5:40 am ET (1040 GMT)
SpaceX, Not Tesla, Will Make Musk A Trillionaire
Forbes.com — 5:37 am ET (1037 GMT)
Space Force needs to double in size, top enlisted leader says
FederalNewsRadio.com — 5:37 am ET (1037 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list