spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


Florida lottery nixes plan to give away ISS ride
Posted: Sat, Dec 13, 2003, 3:39 PM ET (2039 GMT)
The Florida Lottery has killed a proposal to give away a trip to the International Space Station. The proposal, pitched by space tourism company Space Adventures, would have given the winner of a lottery a trip on a Soyuz spacecraft to the ISS, valued at between $10-20 million. Lottery officials said that tests in focus groups showed little interest in the competition from likely lottery players, who are more interested in cash awards. The lottery had considered a similar contest last year and rejected it, but the idea got new life earlier this year by a new head of the lottery. Florida Governor Jeb Bush was also cool to the idea, calling it "out of the core mission" of the lottery. Space Adventures CEO Eric Anderson said that he was still "confident that a space lottery is viable and would generate much needed revenue for the state."
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
Space Force adds Rocket Lab and Stoke Space to NSSL contract
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:19 AM ET (1319 GMT)

Cygnus departs from ISS
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:14 AM ET (1314 GMT)

Vulcan Centaur certified for national security launches
Posted: Sun, Mar 30 9:10 AM ET (1310 GMT)

news links
Friday, April 4
How China is expanding its anti-satellite arsenal
Defense One — 5:52 am ET (0952 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list